- Can I watch on my mobile phone?
- The video won’t load/appear
- The video keeps stopping and starting, and the loading symbol keeps appearing.
- The sound won’t work
- What do I do if it says I am "behind a firewall"?
- Can I make the slides larger and the speaker smaller?
- Why does the layout of the page not look right?
- What media software do I need?
1. Can I watch on my mobile phone?
This site has been optimised to work on mobile devices. However, if the mobile has weak data or internet connection, it may take longer to load and stream.
On some mobiles, the slides will be played over the audio from the lecture, so you can see the slides and hear what the lecturer is saying. You will not be able to see the video of the speaker, only the slides and audio from the talk will play through the mobile device.
2. The video won’t load/appear
It may be that your organisation is preventing videos from being played on the internal computers – particularly on older browsers and operating systems. Please check with your IT support to see if this is the case, and whether the block can be lifted.
3. The video keeps stopping and starting, and the loading symbol keeps appearing.
This is most likely to be a problem with your broadband speed, or internet or data connection.
The RCR Videos site is optimised to work with most home, workplace and mobile connection speeds.
However, there are times when your broadband connection may slow down: if this is the case, it may allow text and images to appear, but ‘high bandwidth’ videos will break up or ‘stop and start’.
Sometimes this is due to a poor broadband connection (and it may be worth contacting your provider or IT department to see if you can get a stronger or upgraded connection); or it may be due to high levels of internet usage in your home, your area, or your office.If it’s the latter, please be patient or log back on at a less busy time.
4. The sound won’t work
You could try refreshing your web page. Please note that your computer has sound controls accessible from the control panel and that the video player has sound controls which appear in the player window.
5. What do I do if it says I am "behind a firewall"?
It may be blocking the video content and you may need to access the site from a different location. To check whether it is a firewall issue try accessing another video website.
6. Can I make the slides larger and the speaker smaller?
Yes, you can make the slides larger and the speaker smaller by clicking on the Minimise Video or Maximise Video tab (located under the video panel).
7. Why does the layout of the page not look right?
Very occasionally, your browser won’t immediately recognise an update or amendment to the website – the cached (‘stored’) pages on your browser may still be storing the old layout, and this can cause problems. The browser should update itself automatically next time you open it.
8. What media software do I need?
If you have an older browser, you may need to have Adobe Flash player on your computer. Download Adobe Flash here. However, you won’t need Flash on newer browsers.